Butter Cream Frosted Rainbow Cake
Here’s a recipe shared to us by one of our contributors who baked this called ‘Rainbow Cake’. This cake primarily uses food-grade color to give various layer of colored cake and colored frosting – typical of rainbow shades.
- caster sugar
- vanilla (clear)
- all purpose flour
- baking powder
- teaspoon salt
- evaporated milk
Directions: Use creaming method.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add one egg at a time until thoroughly incorporated.
- Sift all dry ingredients 3x, then alternately add this and the milk to the butter mixture (dry/milk/dry/milk/dry).
- Divide the batter into four equal parts colored each separated batter into four different colors of your choice.
- Pour into greased and floured pan.
- Bake for 40 minutes or so or until a tester comes out clean.
Butter Cream Frosting Ingredients:
- egg whites
- shortening – for stabilizer
- vanilla (optional)
- Combine egg whites, salt and sugar in a bowl over simmering water.
- Whisk until the sugar ahs completely melted.
- Beat butter and shortening until light and fluffy.
- Set aside.
- Beat the egg whites until it has completely cooled, then add the butter mixture slowly until fully incorporated.
- Divide the frosting into four equal parts and color each differently.