Chiken Caldereta in Rich Liver Sauce
Caldereta is a comforting stew we Filipinos really love to cook. We can make a lot of variation of this recipe and can be prepared usually with beef or goat’s meat. Different vegetables and other ingredients may be added based on preference.
In this recipe, I will use chicken for the meat and add a freshly prepared chicken liver sauce. I opted not to use the popular caldereta powder mix, since I have enough spices and tomatoes. The resulting sauce will be very rich and tasty in taste.
½ kg chicken legs
3-5 pcs chicken liver, pureed
1 can 400g tomatoes peeled, pureed
2 medium pieces of potatoes, quartered
2 medium pieces of carrots, cut into wedges
1 small piece of green bell pepper
2 small chilli peppers
1 thumb size ginger, crushed
1 small onion, halves
2 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp lemon juice
2 tbsp brown sugar
salt to taste
cheese cubes, optional
- Brown chicken and chicken liver in olive oil.
- Remove the chicken liver and add with tomatoes in a blender. Puree until well blended, add some water for consistency.
- Add the onions and ginger in the chicken followed by the tomatoes/liver sauce.
- Let simmer for 2 minutes, then add potatoes and carrots.
- Season with salt, soy sauce, lemon juice, pepper and sugar to taste.
- Continue to simmer for addition 10 minutes under very low heat.
- Add the cheese and peppers, then remove from heat.
- Serve with steamed rice.