Classic Pastry Cream Recipe
Here’s a traditional pastry cream recipe frequently used in bakeries and restaurants. Although various preparations can be done, the classic one is preferred by many chefs. Some ready-to-prepare pastry creams are available in the market in powder form. All you need is to add cold water, then mix well with a wire whip or an electric mixer. But this recipe is a made from fresh eggs and milk and requires cooking. Preparation requires close-up monitoring while cooking so as to achieve the desired consistency. Pastry cream similar also to custard cream filling is often used as a filling for cakes, pies or pastries. This pastry cream is stable when used as filling for pies. I plan to use this filling for my buko pie recipe.
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 whole egg
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Combine the milk and 1/4 cup sugar in a non-stick cooking pot, stir and let the sugar dissolve. Continue to stir while allow to boil in medium heat. Remove from heat.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk both the egg yolks and egg. Combine first the 1/3 cup sugar and cornstarch to prevent lumps.
- Add the sugar/cornstarch mixture to the eggs and continue to whisk until smooth.
- While the milk/sugar mixture still hot, slowly pour into egg/sugar/cornstarch mixture making sure to mix evenly while pouring. This will prevent the eggs being cooked with the hot mixture.
- Heat again the mixture in low heat.
- Continue to mix with the wire whisk and slowly allow to boil.
- Stir continuously until the mixture thickens.
- You will notice that the thickening of the mixture happens immediately, so make sure to stir constantly to prevent the eggs to curdle and get burn at the bottom.
- After the mixture thickens, remove from heat immediately but continue to stir.
- Add the butter and vanilla, stir into the mixture until well blended.
- Transfer the mixture immediately in a glass container and allow to cool.
- Put a piece of plastic wrap directly on top of the mixture to prevent from drying up the top of the cream. Chill in the refrigerator before using.