Easy Buko Pie
I plan to make buko pie long time and I’ve got all ingredients. Buko pie is a specialized pastry made with sweet buko filling and flaky crust. Since there is abundance of coconut trees in the Laguna, Batangas and Cavite, buko pie has become their signature delicacy.
In this recipe, I use canned coconut meat from Thailand and Betty Crocker pie crust premix for convenience. That is why i call this recipe as ‘Easy Buko Pie’.Hopefully next time, I’ll use a pie crust recipe from scratch and fresh/frozen buko that might be available in some Asian grocery in Batha, Riyadh.
2 cans coconut meat – about 2 cups of buko (save the syrup)
½ cup evaporated milk
½ cup white sugar
½ cup cornstarch dissolved in ½ cup of buko syrup from the canned coconut meat
1. Prepare the crust as package direction. You can use also your own recipe of pie crust. Prepare two dough for crust and cover. Roll the dough using rolling pin and dust the surface as well as the rolling pin. Easy flatten the dough and don’t over roll.
2. Prepare the filling by heating the evaporated milk and sugar until well dissolved.
3. Add the buko and cool for another 2-3 minutes.
4. Pour in the cornstarch-coconut syrup mixture. Continue stirring so as not to get lumpy.
5. Cook until thick and continue mixing so as not to stick on pan, then remove from heat immediately.
6. Allow to cool for a while then put the buko filling over the crust.
7. Cover with another crust and seal, then prick on top using fork.
8. Egg wash.
8. Bake for 10-15 minutes at 220 degree Celsius.