You Don’t Realize that Filipinos are Fond of Pickled Veggies : Atsarang Papaya
What do you think is the most popular appetizer in the Philippines? What else but atsarang Papaya! Although young unripe papaya is the most famous primary ingredient for atsara but there are also other appetizers that can be used to make atsara. A variation of radish, turnips, ampalaya and even sayote can be made into a delicious atsara that anyone can love and enjoy. This can be spicy, sweet and sour at the same time, and unbelievably delicious. It can be called pickled papaya, similar to a pickled cucumber that no one can resist.
Filipinos are quite voracious, forgive the word, this actually means they have a good appetite and are willing to explore all types of food, cuisines, exotic dishes and different appetizers as well. At parties and celebrations, can find almost a mixture and combination of recipes, mostly the favorite ones. Atsara is one of the appetizers Filipinos can’t live without, because the looks are really inviting and not to mention the authentic taste.
The following are the ingredients of Atsara Papaya if you want to try preparing one:
- A whole medium green papaya (peeled, seeds removed, and shredded as fine as possible)
- Carrots, 2 pieces are manageable, peeled and thinly sliced
- Red and green bell pepper, sliced and seeded
- Garlic/ginger, thinly sliced
- Onions chopped coarsely
- Approx. 4 cups vinegar
- Around 2 cups brown sugar
- Salt/ground pepper
- Pineapple tidbits (optional)
- Squeeze the liquid from the shredded papaya as much as you can. Set aside.
- Boil all other ingredients in a saucepan making sure that the sugar is completely dissolved prior to boiling.
- Lower the heat, add the shredded papaya and mix well for a matter of 3 minutes.
- Then transfer the atsarang papaya in dry jars. Let it cool.
- Refrigerate for at least 12 hours so that the mixture will blend with each other perfectly.
- You can now serve it with dried or fried fish, or with a liempo or pork barbecue.
Very simple procedure to follow but this particular dish is really enjoyable and full of flavors. Try this at home, share with friends and family members. You can even do this as a start-up business.