Homemade Chicken Tocino Recipe
Preparing your own chicken tocino at home is very easy. You will only need basic ingredients available in your kitchen.
The usual tocino is made from pork with ample amount of fat in it. Here’s a recipe of tocino that uses chicken breast fillet that is considered a low fat option – no skin included, all lean white meat. We previously featured using chicken breast to prepare chicken nuggets for kids.
To make this homemade tocino tasty, curing will be done overnight inside the refrigerator. The cured chicken tocino is also to be cooked at very low heat to prevent from too much browning and losing of moisture.
Your homemade chicken tocino can be served as your usual breakfast with rice and fried egg.
- 1 kg chicken breast
- 5 tbsp ground black pepper
- 3 tbsp garlic powder
- 2 tbsp salt
- 1 tbsp annatto powder dissolved in 1 tbsp warm water
- 4 tbsp of maple/pancake syrup
- 2 tbsp of brown sugar
- Canola or Sunflower oil for frying
Curing of Chicken Breast Fillet
– Rub the chicken breast with dry ingredients (ground black pepper, garlic powder, and salt). Let stand for 5 minutes. Continue adding the rest of ingredients – annatto powder/water for color, syrup and sugar. Mix well until the meat is well covered with the ingredients.
– Allow to cure inside the refrigerator overnight.
– Fry in small amount of sunflower oil under low heat for 2-5 minutes until cooked.