Kikkoman Chicken Teriyaki
Traditional chicken teriyaki is cooked with sake, soy sauce and mirin. In this recipe, we’ll try to use Kikkoman soy sauce to replicate the traditional way of cooking this Japanese food favorite. Since sake is not available here in Saudi Arabia, we’ll marinate the chicken pieces using Kikkoman all purpose soy sauce, which is a light and less salty but with more flavor as compared to ordinary soy sauce. Whenever I smell this soya sauce, I feel like Japanese food is being served.
This version of chicken teriyaki is somewhat a Filipino style similar to chicken steak. Onions also added to add variety.
- ½ kg chicken fillets, sliced
- ½ cup Kikkoman all purpose soy sauce
- 3 tbsp honey
- 1 small lemon (use the juice)
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1 tsp ginger powder
- toasted sesame seeds
- olive oil
- Marinate the chicken fillets in Kikooman soy sauce, lemon juice, honey and ginger powder for at least 30 minutes.
- Caramelize the sliced onions in olive oil and add the chicken pieces until cook.
- Allow to brown a little bit and add the marinade.
- Let simmer until reduce the sauce.
- Serve with toasted sesame seeds on top.