Pineapple Gulaman (Pineapple Jelly) Recipe
Missing to eat gulaman when I was on vacation in the Philippines, I plan to make my own. I remembered cooking gulaman when I visited a grocery store here in Riyadh selling various Filipino foods and many other grocery items. Gulaman is Filipino dessert made from agar and similar to gelatin. It usually prepared with sugar and full fat or evaporated milk. Some add fruits like canned pineapples or raisins. Others prepare gulaman just with various color.
I couldn’t remember when was the last time I cooked gulaman. So here’s my try again based on what I searched in various pinoy food blog.
1 bar of red gulaman
2 cups water
1 cup evaporated milk
1 small can pineapple tidbits
3/4 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
- In a large pan, combine water, gulaman (shredded or break into pieces) and sugar.
- Boil for 1 minute then simmer until gulaman and sugar are totally dissolved.
- Add evaporated milk slowly while stirring continuously. Make sure it will not stop the simmering of the mixture.
- Remove from heat and add vanilla.
- Pour into desired container and allow to cool down a bit.
- Arrange the drained pineapple tidbits as desired.
- Allow to cool completely inside the refrigerator
- Serve chilled.