Pineapple Herb Chicken
I grew up eating boiled whole chicken in sweet glaze often called honey chicken. This is cooked by boiling the chicken at a very low heat for a long time until the sauce thickens. It usually contains pieces of pineapples or just cooked with pineapple juice. The meat will be so tender just right that almost separates from the bones, taking care it will not crushed up when served. My mother always adds this herb/spice combination on her honey chicken locally called in the markets of Neva Ecija as ‘baging’. I really don’t know what the primary herb is.
One time, I bring along this herb/spice combination in Saudi Arabia after a long vacation. Looking at the pack of the herb/spice, I see there are bayleaf, cloves and this unknown vine-like herbs – all in dried form. The smell is similar to thyme but less strong – maybe because it is the locally grown thyme in the Philippines. But still, I’m not sure.
In this recipe I called Pineapple Herb Chicken, I used sliced and crushed pineapples together with this vine-like herbs or called as ‘baging’ locally in the Philippines.
2 pcs whole chicken (1300 g each)
2 medium cans pineapple slices in can (432 g)
1 medium can pineapple crushed in can (432 g)
3 handfuls of herb/spice combinations (about 3 packets)
4 cups caffeine-free soft drink (Sprite or 7-Up)
2 pcs medium lime juice
1 cup honey
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup fish sauce
salt to taste
slices of ginger
2 tbsp cornstarch dissolved in 1/2cup water
1. Rub the whole chicken with salt, crushed pineapple and ginger. Allow to stand overnight inside the refrigerator or at least 6 hours.
2. Place the chicken in a big and wide cooking pot.
3. Add all the ingredients except the corn starch.
4. Cook under low heat for 2 hours.
5. Remove the chicken carefully making sure not to torn the chicken into pieces and place in your serving dish. Cover so as not to air dry the skin.
6.Seperate the pineapple slices, herbs and ginger with the liguiid.
7. Boil the liquid until thick enough, adding the cornstarch/water gradually until desired thick consistency.
8. Pour the thick sauce over the chicken and arrange the pineapples slices on the side.
9. Garnish as desired.