Pininyahang Manok with Vienna Sausage
Pininyahang Manok is a Filipino dish that primarily consists of pineapple and chicken as main ingredients. We Filipinos love this dish especially cooked with evaporated milk. You may find a lot of variation of this recipe, as per desired taste. Some add bell peppers or carrots and the simplest one is you’ll just sauté the chicken with pineapple slices and season with salt and pepper.
In this recipe I add evaporated milk and potatoes and Vienna sausage as optional ingredients.
1 kg chicken, cut into serving pieces
1 can 429-g pineapple chunks
4 medium sized potatoes, quartered
3-4 slices of Vienna sausage (optional)
1 stalk of onions
1 thumb size ginger, sliced
4 pieces garlic, crushed
3 tbsp fish sauce (patis)
1 small can evaporated milk
3 tbsp cooking oil
- Season with salt and pepper the chicken and marinate in pineapple juice from the can of pineapple chunks for 15 minutes.
- Heat the cooking oil and sauté the ginger, garlic and onions.
- Add the chicken and cook until light brown in color.
- Season the chicken with fish sauce.
- Add the pineapple juice and pineapple chunks. Let simmer.
- Add the evap milk then bring to a boil.
- Add the pineapple chunks and simmer until the chicken is tender and half of the liquid evaporates (about 20 to 30 minutes).
- Add the potatoes (previously fried).
- Add a cup of water and reduce the heat into low fire.
- Let it simmer for additional 5 minutes.
- Add additional seasoning as per desired taste.
- Serve with onion leaves as a garnish.