Squid Fritters Recipe – Okoy Variation
Okoy or Ukoy is a popular fritters in the Philippines. It can be eaten as snacks or appetizers or as starter to your meal. It commonly includes squash and shrimp as main ingredients. Others use bean sprout or togue.
In this recipe, we’ll use squid and carrots as our ingredients for the fritters. We would like to make the taste different but appealing by using the flavor of the squid. The texture must also be crispy to crunchy that’s why we use baking powder. Although this meal is fried, I think it can still be a healthy one because of the carrots.
2 large carrots, shredded
300 g Squid meat, flaked
2 pieces large eggs
1 stalk green onions, sliced thinly
6 tablespoons all purpose flour
4 tablespoons corn starch
1 teaspoon baking powder
salt and pepper to taste
cooking oil for frying
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup white vinegar
- Combine shredded carrots and squid meat in a bowl and season well with salt and pepper.
- In a separate bowl, combine cornstarch, all purpose flour and baking powder. Make sure to distribute well the baking powder.
- Beat the eggs and add to the carrots and squid meat mixture.
- Add now the flour mixture and mix evenly.
- Heat the cooking oil for frying.
- Scoop the mixture and fry. Make sure to flatten evenly in round fritters.
- Fry until golden brown and crispy.
- Drain in paper towels to remove excess oil.
- Prepare the vinegar dip as desired.
- Serve hot while hot and crispy.